Contributors

Friday, September 16, 2011

What I am most grateful for in Perth this week...

I recently had a flying visit to Perth for Indigenous Literacy Day, and I wanted to take this opportunity to express  my gratitude to those who made the trip exceptional!



1. NOONGAR RADIO:  I’m grateful to Noongar Radio  100.9FM who generously participated in Indigenous Literacy Day and happily hosted an on-air silent auction of books during their Drive Program. Unfortunately, it’s regular host Karla Hart was off-air (and her feet) and so station manager Wayne Bynder and guest host Chris Ross yarned with me, and together we carried the show as best we could. The real stars on the day though were the dozens of bidders for the thirteen book packs donated by (Mabagala Books, HarperCollins, Penguin, Fremantle Arts Centre Press, the National Library of Australia and individual authors including Charmaine Papertalk Green).  I’m also grateful and pleased to report that over the time of the broadcast we raised over $1600 for much needed Indigenous Literacy resources. Thank you! (Pic above of Chris and Michelle in the studio)





 2. INSPIRING STUDENTS: I was in Perth also to do motivational talks at St Brigid’s College in Lesmurdie (somewhere locals call ‘the Hills’). I had a ball speaking to at the Year 11 assembly during the day, and later that evening addressing Indigenous students from across the state and boarding at one of a number of fabulous schools in Perth. The students I met that day / night, were engaged, intelligent and full of potential and I was / am grateful for the opportunity to be reminded also of the passion of youth. The pic above is of the group from the evening session

3. FRANE LESSAC: I am grateful for my dear friend Frane Lessac who is not only an extraordinary illustrator and artist, but she is also my fabulously fun buddy and always makes me feel at home in WA. Frane also donated six books to the ILD auction and the lucky bidder not only took home fabulous story books, but also compact works of art. If you missed Frane’s guest blog on her trip to Japan you can read it here.

4.SARA FOSTER: I’m grateful for my fabulous friend Sara Foster , author of Come Back to Me and Beneath the Shadows. Sara not only trekked into the city to see me, but she too donated her novel to the book auction to help raise money for ILD. I love Sara and you should too. If you haven’t read her blog post here previously, then click this link now and see what Sara is grateful for.

5. VERITY JAMES: Some of you will know Verity Jamesas an ABC Broadcaster, funeral celebrant and Perth personality for many years. I know her as a deadly, funny, generous, warm, always positive tidda. And for that I am grateful.

No comments: